Taking Care of Your Dental Health
If you’re searching the internet for advice on dental health, chances are you are conscious of the importance of oral health. Most people understand the basics, brush twice a day, always floss and avoid foods/beverages high in sugar. But there is a lot more to proper dental hygiene, new advances are made daily in the dentistry field and we are dedicated to informing our patients of these new advancements. Check out this week’s dental health tips by Dental Serenity:
Dental Health Tips
- Brush your teeth right before bed and right after getting out of bed using a fluoride toothpaste.
- At least once a day clean in between teeth using dental floss.
- If using mouthwash, don’t use it directly after brushing as you can rinse away the fluoride.
- Don’t forget to clean your tongue daily! Lots of bacteria can live on the tongue and gums.
- If you smoke, quitting can reduce staining, decay, gum disease and risk for certain oral cancers.
- Be sure to use toothpaste containing fluoride, it strengthens enamel and makes your teeth more resistant to decay.
- Be sure to change your toothbrush every 3 months at minimum, sooner if it shows signs of wear.
- Eat a balanced with lots of fresh vegetables and fruit.
- Avoid sugary/acidic snacks. Fresh vegetables can be a great alternative that isn’t bad for oral health.
- Avoid beverages such as soda, coffee and alcohol when possible.
- If dental anxiety impacts your routine dental care, ask about Dental Serenity’s sedation dentistry.
At Dental Serenity, we believe prevention is the best dental treatment available. We try to educate our patients on the best dental care practices along with providing affordable dental services like examinations and cleanings. If you have questions regarding dental care, examinations or treatments, feel free to contact our Dumfries dental office and schedule an appointment today!